A parent who has the custody must initiate the application. If both parents have custody, both parents must sign the application. Children aged 15-17 years cannot initiate an application for name change, even if they have MitID.
Please note: the self-service is only available in Danish, but this is a guide to help you fill out the application. If you need further help, please contact your local registrar.
To begin, click on "Start" - then click on “Videre”.
Introduktion (step 1 of 6)
On the introduction you will be introduced to the conditions and advice for your preparations before completing your application. You will be informed of the following:
To apply by using the self-service you need to have a Danish CPR-number both as applicant and as co-signatory.
Relevant documentation on the name you wish your child to have is often needed to enclose especially if the name you apply for belongs to the family who are born abroad.
Once you have logged on you must choose your child. If you have more than one child under 18 years, select the child from the list whose name will be changed.
Click on "Jeg vil ændre mit barns navn" (in English: "I wish to change the name of my child")
Click on "Næste" (in English ”Next”)
Navneændring ("Name change") (step 2 of 6)
Your child's present name is automatically shown in the First name, Middle Name and Surname. (In Danish “Fornavn, Mellemnavn” and “Efternavn”).
Please fill out the name(s) you apply for and delete the names you no longer want your child to have.
“Tilknytning” (in English: “Affiliation)
For middle name and surname, select the correct affiliation (in Danish: “Tilknytning”) with your child's new name, for example "Mellemnavn ("Middle name") or "Efternavn" ("Surname") of the child's parents ("Forældre") or "Barnets nuværende mellemnavn" ("Child's current middle name").
- Barnets forældres mellem- eller efternavn ("the child's parents middle- og surname")Barnets bedsteforældres mellem- eller efternavn ("the child's grand parents middle- or surname)
- Barnets oldeforældres mellem- eller efternavn ("the child's great grandparents middle- or surname)
- Barnets tipoldeforældres mellem- eller efternavn ("the child's great-great grandparents middle- or surname)
- Barnets tidligere mellem- eller efternavn ("a middle- or surname previously born by the child")
- Barnets nuværende efternavn ("the child's present surname")
- Frit efternavn ("a non-protected surname")
- Godkendt fornavn til mellemnavn ("a first name as middlename")
- Barnets sted- eller plejeforældres mellem- eller efternavn ("the child's step- or fosterparent's middle- or surname")
- Patronym (name from the father or mother with an additional part of the name showing a family relation)
- Samtykke fra samtlige bærere af navnet (Consent from everyone who carries the name)
- Nydannet navn (som ikke allerede bæres i Danmark) new name (not worn by anyone in Denmark)
Click on "Næste"
Is the name correct?
A window will pop up with your child's new name. You must click “Ja, det er korrekt” (in English: “yes, this is correct” ) to confirm. If it is not correct, click on "tilbage" to revise.
Information om ansøger ("Information about the applicant") (step 3 of 6)
Please enter your email address and telephone number. You can choose whether the information should be hidden from a possible co-signatory.
If there is another parent who must co-sign the application, enter their civil registration number, full name and email address.
If the child is going to have a family name from a foster or stepparent, the name, civil registration number and email address of the foster or stepparent must also be provided.
If the child is 15-17 years old and has MitID, you must enter the child's civil registration number, name and email address.
Click on "Næste"
Betaling ("Payment") (step 4 of 6)
Here you must mark in which context you are applying for a change of name.
Click on ”Næste”
You must choose between different options:
- “Jeg søger om Navneændring på mig selv” (in English: ”I only apply for my own name change”)
- ”Min ægtefælle og jeg søger begge om navneændring” (in English: ”My spouse and I both apply for a name change)
- ”Min samlever og jeg søger begge om navneændring” (in English: ”My cohabitant and I both apply for a name change”)
- Flere i min familie søger om navneændring (in English: ”Several family members apply for a name change”)
- “Jeg søger om navneændring i forbindelse med min vielse” (in English ”I am applying for a name change at my wedding”)
- "Jeg mener ikke, at jeg skal betale gebyr" (in English ”I do not believe that I have to pay”
If you have to pay a fee, you must enter your payment details and choose a payment method.
Once you have provided your payment details, you will be informed that the money will only be withdrawn once you have signed the application.
Please note: The fee will be withdrawn once the first signature has been completed. If a co-signatory does not want to sign, the fee will still be withdrawn - and it will not be refunded.
If you do not have to pay
Some applications are free of charge e.g. when you have already made an application for a name change for your self or another family member. If that is the case, you must choose the option: "Flere i min familie søger om navneændring" (in English: ”Several family members apply for a name change”)
Or if there are other reasons, you must choose the option:
"Jeg mener ikke, at jeg skal betale gebyr" (in English ”I do not believe that I have to pay”)
You must then write an argument.
If you have paid for another application, please write the civil registration number or a reference number referring to an application that has been paid.
Summary of information entered (step 5 of 6)
Here you will see a summary of what you have entered - the requested name, your email and telephone number, the name and email address of any co-signer, and the name and email address of any child aged 15-17 years. The name(s) of the person(s) who must sign the application is/are stated at the bottom.
If your child is 12-14 years old, the child must sign the application. This is done either with a mouse, or on a touch screen. Click on 'Child's signature' and a box will appear for the child to sign. Remember to save the signature. The signature must be legible.
Click on "Accepter og Signer" to confirm and sign.
Processing of personal data (pop-up window)
A pop-up window will show and you will be able to read about the rules on processing of personal data before final signature.
At the bottom of this overview, click on “Ja, jeg har læst ovenstående” (In English: "Yes, I have read the above").
You will be redirected to MitID for final signature.
Kvittering (Step 6 of 6) (in English: "Receipt")
You will receive a confirmation, which will also be sent to your email address. The reference number of the application is stated on the confirmation as well as the name and email address of the person(s) who must co-sign. The local registrar who will process the application is also stated. If you have any questions regarding the application, please contact this local registrar.
If your application needs a signature from another person, you will receive a notification on mail once your application is co-signed.
Please note: If your application needs to be co-signed by another parent or your child and you have entered your email address incorrectly, you cannot correct it in the application. Instead ask the co-signatory to log on to the application “Medunderskriv ansøgning om navneændring med MitID” where the application will be accessible for co-signing for 14 days.
Futher proces - check status on MitOverblik
Your application will be processed by your local registrar. If your name change is approved, you will receive a notification in your Digital Post.
Remember to check the process of your child's application by logging onto MitID and choose “Mit Overblik” on borger.dk, where you can also see contact information on the registrar. Please note: only the parent who has custody will have access.