The registration of personal data is to register important information related to the citizens throughout their lives. Present and historical information are often registered to the extend necessary and the registration is conducted in the CPR-register and in the digital church register (church book).
In Denmark, registration is conducted by several authorities, each with its own area of responsibility.
The various registering authorities have access only to the information that is relevant to their work.
Public authorities in Denmark handling personal data:
- SKAT (Danish tax authorities)
- Registrars in the municipalities of Southern Jutland
- Registrars in the parishes
- The Agency of Family Law
- Borgerservice (Citizen Service Centre) in the municipalities
- The Danish Court Administration
Department of Registration of Personal data under the Danish Ministry of Urban, Rural and Ecclesiastical Affairs
- The Nationality Division
The personal data includes two kinds of data, civil or ecclesiastical:
- Personal registration number
- Registration of birth and place of birth
- Parental custody
- Change of name
- Marital status (unmarried, married, registered partner, divorced, widowed, deceased)
Data related to ecclesiastical events: